Charleville, N. Cork: Gardai Launch Manhunt After Brutal Sex Attack On Elderly Woman

21 Sep

NEWS UPDATE:

A METAL worker appeared in court charged with the sexual assault of a woman in her 60s in Charleville, Co Cork.

Liam Smith, aged 21, of 26 Batt Donegan Place, Charleville, was remanded in custody by Judge Mary O’Halloran at Newcastle West District Court.

He is charged with sexually assaulting a female contrary to section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape Amendment) Act, 1990, as amended by section 37 of the Sex Offenders Act 2001. Supt Pat McCarthy told the court that more serious charges would possibly be brought against the accused.

Det Garda Garry Costelloe gave evidence of arresting Smith at 7.50am at his home on September 21. He charged Smith on the same date at 11.26pm and the accused made no reply to the charge.

Supt McCarthy applied to have Smith remanded in custody to appear at the same court on September 29.

He objected to bail sought by Smith.

Supt McCarthy said he based his objection on the seriousness of the charge and the possibility of a more serious charge being brought against Smith.

He said the alleged attack on the woman occurred at about 9.45pm as she returned from bingo.

As a result of the alleged crime, there had been fear in the local community in Charleville. Supt McCarthy said he was concerned that if given bail, Smith would abscond as he had ties to Britain and gardaí had found information on his Facebook account that he had applied for a visa to go to Australia.

Supt McCarthy said he was also concerned for Smith’s safety if he returned to Charleville on bail.

In his bail application, Liam Smith, in reply to his solicitor Cathal Lombard, told the court he earned €400 a week, and that if granted bail he would move to another location, would surrender his passport and abide by conditions such as a curfew.

Judge O’Halloran refused the bail application and remanded him in custody to Limerick prison.

Judge O’Halloran adjourned an application by Mr Lombard for free legal aid to a further hearing.
———-

A man is due in court charged in connection with a serious sexual assault in north Cork.

Man was questioned in Mallow Garda Station

Man was questioned in Mallow Garda Station

A man is due in court this morning charged in connection with a serious sexual assault in north Cork earlier this week.

The man, who is in his mid 20s, was arrested in the Charleville area yesterday morning by gardaí investigating the alleged sexual assault of a 60-year-old woman in the town as she returned home from bingo on Monday night.

He was brought to Mallow Garda Station where he was questioned yesterday in connection with the incident.

He is due to appear before a sitting of Newcastle West District Court

———-

GARDAÍ have doubled the size of the investigation team hunting a man who subjected a woman to a brutal sexual assault as she walked home from bingo.

Twenty-five gardaí working on the case yesterday were following several lines of inquiry into the savage and prolonged attack on the woman in Charleville, north Cork, on Sunday night.

Supt Pat McCarthy said they have been getting great co-operation from the public but still appealed to anyone with any information to contact them.

Over 30 statements have been taken, while detectives continued door-to-door inquiries and examined CCTV footage from nearby premises.

Supt McCarthy said the victim, who is in her 60s, is recovering.

“It was a terrible ordeal, but she is strong. She is getting support from family and friends and we have a liaison officer working closely with her,” he said.

The woman was walking home alone in the Turrets area of the town when she was grabbed from behind. She was dragged into a dark driveway, where she was beaten about the head, face and body, before being sexually assaulted. The assault lasted about 20 minutes before the attacker fled the scene on foot.

The badly injured woman made her way to the road, where she flagged down a passing motorist, who brought her to Charleville Garda Station.

The attacker is described as in his mid-20s, with a strong build and a round face. He was wearing a hoodie and jeans, was clean-shaven, and spoke with an Irish accent.

Anyone with information should contact gardaí on 063-81222 or at Mallow Garda Station on 022-21105. www.garda.ie

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: