Dublin: DFA Warns Irish Travellers To UK ‘Avoid Areas Of Civil Unrest’

10 Aug

Three London courts will stay open all night to process cases related to rioting in the English capital.

 

Toxteh, Liverpool - A caravan lies, burned out

Toxteh, Liverpool – A caravan lies, burned out

Manchester - 'Extraordinary levels of violence'

Manchester – ‘Extraordinary levels of violence’

Birmingham - Cars burned and shops looted

Tariq Jahan - His son Haroon was killed in a hit-and-run

Three London courts will stay open all night to process cases related to looting and violence in the English capital.

Many of the defendants so far have pleaded guilty to a single count of burglary.

There has been no repeat so far tonight of the violence on the streets of cities in Britain in recent nights.

However, in a tweet, Greater Manchester Police said it had arrested two men found with a fuel can, balaclava and ball bearings.

Police reinforcements from other forces have been drafted in tonight to avoid a repeat of last night’s disorder in both Manchester and Salford.

Manchester returned to some sense of normality earlier as around 200 volunteers gathered at Piccadilly Gardens in the morning where they were equipped with brushes, bags and gloves and sent out to help with the clean-up of the city.

The first two people convicted over the looting and violence sweeping England were jailed today, police said, hailing the effect of ‘swift justice’.

Greater Manchester Police, the constabulary covering northern England’s biggest city and its environs, said two men had been imprisoned for public order offences.

‘Two people already jailed for their part in last night’s disorder — swift justice,’ the force said on their Twitter feed.

‘Two men sentenced to 10 weeks and 16 weeks. First of many.

‘Extra courts sitting tonight to deal with prisoners. GMP will update with all the sentences as soon as they are given,’ the force promised.

Manchester’s police have taken a robust approach from the start towards the looters. More than 100 people have been arrested.

An 18-year-old male has been arrested on suspicion of arson after a Miss Selfridge store in Manchester city centre was set alight.

The fire damage at the clothes shop was among 100 premises targeted by looters and vandals who ran amok last night.

The teenager was detained in the city at about 2pm today and remains in police custody for questioning.

Footage of the suspect torching the shop was widely distributed via the media.

Passers-by in Market Street took pictures of the burnt-out Miss Selfridge shop on their mobile phones while staff at other stores like Nike, Jessops and numerous phone shops and supermarkets tried their best to get back to normal after their front windows had been smashed in.

Around 600 licensed premises were warned to close early yesterday by the Manchester Pub and Club Network but the current advice is to stay open tonight – although it was expected that many would opt to shut.

Elsehwhere, an 11-year-old boy was among scores of rioters and looters to appear before magistrates today.

The boy, from Romford, Essex, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Highbury Corner Youth Court where he admitted being part of a gang of youths who looted the town’s Debenhams store on Monday night.

His appearance came as court staff ploughed through the massive influx of cases from recent riots in London.

Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court, in north London, sat throughout last night to deal with cases, and is likely to again tonight.

Forecast heavy rain throughout the day and the evening was also predicted as a factor which may deter the return of the opportunistic robbers.

Greater Manchester Police Chief Constable Peter Fahy said officers made a total of 113 arrests.

Police released the first batch of pictures of suspects wanted for the rioting and looting in Manchester and Salford.

The 17 CCTV images were issued as police also appealed for members of the public to send them their own images of the yobs smashing into shops and attacking police.

Trouble was also reported in Birmingham, Wolverhampton, West Bromwich, Liverpool, Nottingham, Leicester, Bristol and Gloucester.

278 arrests were reported outside London and 81 took place in the capital, bringing the total to 768 since trouble erupted on Saturday.

In Greater Manchester, fire bombs were thrown at shops and windows were smashed as looters made off with designer clothes, expensive electrical items, jewellery, mobile phones and alcohol.

At a news conference in Manchester last night, Pat Karney, a city councillor, said he had been shocked by the ages of some of the looters.

Elsewhere, a second night of violence ensued on Merseyside as fire engines were targeted by missile-throwing yobs.

Around 200 youths gathered to the south of the city as they roamed from Toxteth to Wavertree causing disorder and damage.

Once again members of the public were told to avoid the Smithdown Road area while officers dealt with the violence.

Trouble also spread to Birkenhead last night with reports of up to 100 youths wrecking vehicles in the Park Road South area.

Merseyside Police have now arrested 50 people since Monday night for incidents of disorder in Liverpool and the Wirral.

British Prime Minister David Cameron this morning insisted that police had all the powers they need to restore order, including the authority to use baton rounds and water cannon.

Speaking outside Downing Street after presiding over another meeting of the British Government’s emergency Cobra committee, Mr Cameron said a more robust approach to policing in London had resulted in a much quieter night across the capital, and that the situation was under constant review.

Triple murder investigation in Birmingham

Meanwhile, in Birmingham, three men struck by a car while standing on a footpath in the early hours of this morning have died in hospital.

Reports from the scene suggest they were among a group of local Asian men who had been protecting their area from possible looting by masked youths.

Police have begun a murder investigation. One man has been arrested and a car has been recovered.

Separately, police investigating a large fire which destroyed the House of Reeves furniture store in Croydon have arrested a man on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life.

The 21-year-old suspect was detained by officers last night and is being held at a south London police station, the Metropolitan Police said.

There have been no other arrests in connection with the incident at this stage, the force added.

Meanwhile, a 26-year-old man who died after being found shot in a car during riots in Croydon has been named as Trevor Ellis, of Brixton Hill.

DFA warns Irish citizens

The Department of Foreign Affairs is warning Irish travellers to avoid areas of England where civil unrest is occurring.

‘Areas affected by the unrest in London include parts of Oxford Circus, Tottenham, Hackney, Peckham, Lewisham, Clapham Junction, Brixton, Ealing Broadway, West Ealing, Northfields and Croydon. Civil unrest has also been reported in Birmingham, Bristol and Liverpool.’

Irish citizens living in any affected areas have been advised to be vigilant and monitor local media and follow the advice of the British authorities.

Related Stories

Fourth night of UK violence

Fresh violence on streets of London

New disturbances reported in London

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: