Roundwood, Co. Wicklow: Most Wanted Double Killer and Child Abuser Consents To Extradition To UK

4 Aug

A double murderer, who fled to Ireland after serving a life sentence in England, has consented to his extradition to the UK.

High Court - Case heard today

High Court – Case heard today

The High Court heard today that Ian Kentzer, now Ioan Thomas, had in 1991 pleaded guilty to the murder of two family members.

Kentzer told the court he had legally changed his name to Ioan Thomas following his release on licence from prison and had moved from his native Yorkshire to South Wales.

He admitted in evidence that he had breached the conditions of his release by failing to report to his probation and by moving to Ireland several years ago.

The 45-year-old said he had spent almost 16 years in prison after pleading guilty in 1991 to murdering his grandmother and a great aunt by setting fire to their Sheffield home when they discovered he was stealing from their bank accounts.

Detective Sergeant Sean Fallon told Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan he arrested Thomas on 19 July on foot of an extradition warrant at his home, Garden Cottage, Clara Beg, Trooperstown, Roundwood, Co Wicklow.

He said Thomas had served a minimum life sentence following his conviction for the double murders.

He had also been convicted in the mid 80s of a sexual offence against a minor.

Sgt Fallon said Thomas had been released from prison in 2005 on two conditions, that he not leave the UK and that he keep in touch with his probation supervising officer and the Child Protection Service.

He said Thomas had come to garda attention as a result of a road traffic matter. Suspicions had been raised and inquiries made and the UK authorities had issued a European Arrest Warrant for him.

Thomas told his barrister, Jim Colgan, that in December 1991 he had pleaded guilty to a number of charges, including two counts of murder, and had been sentenced to life imprisonment with a specified minimum term of 15 years.

On 29 December, 2005, he was released under licence and in his hometown in Yorkshire he had been harassed by two siblings who wanted him to remain in prison.

He was recalled to prison on 5 January, 2007, for six months, until investigations revealed there had been no grounds for the allegations against him.

He said that with the consent of the authorities he moved to Wales in February 2008 and changed his name by Deed Poll from Ian David Kentzer to Ioan Thomas to avoid being tracked down by siblings.

He had obtained a passport under his new name by consent of his probation officer.

Relations with his probation officer deteriorated and he moved to Ireland in June 2008 and had since lived openly at his address.

Thomas told Kathleen Leader, counsel for the State, that he had started a business, Mould Busters, in Roundwood, which employed three people and had survived the financial downturn.

He said he had no family ties in Ireland.

Judge Sheehan said Thomas had admitted breaching his prison release licence and he would refuse him bail.

Thomas told the court he would consent to his extradition and waived his right to remain in Ireland for 10 days prior to his surrender to the UK authorities.

Tony Hughes, of O’Neill Quinn solicitors for Thomas, said he could now be handed over almost immediately.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: